Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday - - Busy Sunday!!

Ok - - this is the 3rd time that I've tried to post this post........... and everything goes fine until I try to add pictures....  and then it all disappears!!!  Dang it!!

I made chicken n dumplins today and I made Chocolate Chip cookies.......  I love this time of year... and I love comfort food..... and making comfort food when the weather turns cooler...........  AWESOME!!!  Yay!!

Chicken n Dumplins.............  The chicken must be very tender......... and lots of it!  And the dumplins?  They MUST be thick.....  and home made........  Just like the little grandmas at church make them........  You know exactly what I'm sayin............  Those grandmas?  They know how to do it right!! 

Sixteen years ago I decided to try to make them.....  well...... they take practice...... 

One secret?  Let your chicken cook slow........  Today, my chicken fell off the bones......  Perfect!!!

My recipe:

1 whole chicken, 4 - 5 pounds
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 whole onion, chopped
salt n pepper

I boil my chicken in my 10 quart stock pot with the celery, onion salt n pepper.......  After it gets a good rolling boil, I'll turn it down to medium low or low, depending how much time I have.  I'll let it cool slow for at least a couple of hours.  When it's done cooking, I'll take the meat out of the both and put it in a strainer to cool. 

About an hour before I want to eat, I make the dumplins.

I turn the burner on under the broth to get it boiling.  I put 4 cups of flour in a very big mixing bowl.
make a well and pour in 2 cups of hot broth


and mix well.....

When it gets really dry and hard to mix any more, add 3 beaten eggs..........  and mix very well...



And then I add salt and pepper to my dumplins, and more flour.  Probably about 3 cups more, but not all at once.  Add about 3/4 cup at a time and mix well.  When it gets too hard to mix with a spoon, I flour my countertop and turn the dough out on it.  And then I knead it and knead it and knead it until it isn't sticky any longer.  It almost gets to the point of a good bread dough.....  Smooth and elastic-y...

I usually divide the dough into quarters.  It's easier to work with.  I flour my countertop again, and roll the dough out very thin........



I cut it into squares about an inch to an inch and a half square........



And then I drop the dumplins into the boiling broth  ONE AT A TIME!!  (otherwise you end up with a big ball of dough...  yeck....!!)

Stir the dumplins to make sure they don't stick to each other and let them keep boiling at medium to medium high heat for about 25 minutes... 


Then add your chicken.....


The broth will thicken as it cools slightly...

And it's done!!  Soo yummy!!  Enjoy!!

Hugs ~~ Suz

I'm Linking Up To These Fab Parties:
HookingupwithHoH

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I always try to reply back!